Monday, December 26, 2011

Day One! (Den)

When I heard that my high-school best friend (and now sister-in-law) was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes, first and foremost I was concerned for her; but, I was also scared for myself because the last time I went to the doctor, I was told that I have similar problems – high triglycerides, low good cholesterol, high blood pressure, and high insulin swings on my blood sugar test. That was about six years ago and I doubt there’s been any improvement in my numbers. So, her diagnosis would likely be my diagnosis if I had a good doctor and medical insurance. Kori has devoted herself to making life changes now, and I thought, “What better way to support my friend, than to try right alongside her efforts.” I came up with the idea to not only dedicate myself to improving my own health, but also to journaling the efforts on this blog. She and I will be right here, side by side (although separated by thousands of miles).

I don’t know how many posts will wind up being here on our site, but I’m hoping for quite a few! We both have a lot of weight to lose. On my end, I need to lose about 110 pounds to be on the high side of “normal.” That’s an awful lot of weight, but more importantly, I am looking forward to having more stamina. One of the things that I would dearly love is to go zip-lining with my son. When we checked on the nearby sky-zip-line, I discovered that I weighed too much to go. I was really disappointed and embarrassed! I’ll probably lose all my weight, jump on the zip-line and plunge to my death, but by gosh, I am going zip-lining when I get fit!

Today was my first day. I’ve done well for this one day, but it was an impromptu decision to join Kori, and so my pantry is not stocked well and I don’t have a concrete plan for myself. I’ll be giving it some thought over the next few days as to how I want to proceed. Yet, I know there is no miracle cure for us. It’s diet and exercise…no fads. I can’t diet the way that I did when I was sixteen – eat cabbage and soy sauce, run until I almost pass out, and then drink a quarter cup of vinegar. WHAT WAS I THINKING?!

It’s nice to have some rejuvenated inspiration, but we all know that day one is not generally the worst day. It’s day two, day 21, day 153. Those are the days when Big Lou’s Pizza Parlor mysteriously appears on the traveling route, or the day that I decide eating the entire can of Pringles is a great idea because I can destroy the evidence before the rest of the family wants to horn-in on my chip binge! So, if you are reading…and Kori, I know that you are…here’s hoping that those days are few and far between for both of us. Here we go!!!

No comments: