Monday, December 26, 2011

The diagnosis (Kori)

I don't know why I was in shock when my doctor told me it was Type II Diabetes. I guess I really expected it to be Pre-diabetes, which somehow seems much less ominus and controllable. Type II does not go away although it can be well controlled. In the last year I have gone from being on no medication to one for cholesterol, high blood pressure, allergies, sleep and now I have to stab myself in the stomache with a medication that is supposed to help with the fact that I make way too much insulin. Oh yeah and the multiple stabbings of the fingers. At 42 years old, I am wayyyy to young for all of this.

What I find funny is that I had not told many people in my family that I was diagnosed and out of the blue, my best friend and sister in law, whom I have shared my weight loss struggles with over the 27 years we have known each other, called to say HI. Of course we spent a lot of time catching up and I told her my news.

Then, when she came up with the idea about this blog, I jumped at the chance to both stay better connected with her and get the support I desperately need as well as offer her the support I know she needs. This is not a new journey for us, both of us bonded over losing weight in high school and this has continued until today. We both have loving, supportive spouses and wonderful children but there is nothing like talking to an old friend who knows almost everyhing about you.

What I find even more amazing; I read Denice's first blog about ziplining. She and I have never discussed this but it is my goal as well. My husband and I made a goal of being in good enough shape on our 25th anniversary January 16, 2013 to go on vacation somewhere that we can zipline without being denied because of our weight.

So Den, this is to you and me, once again, facing this journey together. Thanks for making it happen.

1 comment:

Den said...

Kori, I am so happy and excited to do this with you. This journal is a small part of the work that we each must do, but it is also one of the most profound parts. Herein, we are able to support each other and share our struggles. I so hope that our final posts will record our zip-line adventures; I'm looking forward to sharing that story!