Tuesday, January 3, 2012

"Modified" Vegan...VegDen! (Den)

I have my own way of looking at things, and because I struggle with the demands of veganism, I've decided that I am going to be "VegDen" instead of "Vegan." :)

[Weekends Optional]  Saturday and Sunday are optional vegan days for me. I LOVE CHEESE! Life without cheese just seems intolerable. So, that's the first thing about being VegDen. Does that mean I get to go hog-wild on the weekend? No, of course not. I still have to stay in my dietary restraints. One of those restraints is a maximum of 10g of Saturated Fat per day. That means that a cheese binge is definitely out, but a slice of cheese pizza is in...and I LOVE PIZZA!

[Eggs]  Next thing about being VegDen has to do with eggs. I have four hens in my yard for a reason - I LOVE EGGS, and I get a lot of protein from them. Eating MY HENS' EGGS is definitely in, but eating eggs from unknown sources is out. My chickens get plenty of sunshine, love, and yummy food like organic oats, cucumbers, watermelon rinds, old fruit that didn't get eaten...I have even been known to buy groceries specifically for my babies. Cacciatore, Jambalaya, Sunshine, and Hoody are beloved (yes, I was vegetarian when I named them, so two of their names were just for fun - I want to get a white hen and name her Alfreda). I don't feel bad eating eggs that I know come from well-cared for birds.

[Carbs and Protein]  Being VegDen is a much better choice for myself because of my carbohydrate restrictions. I only eat about 25 net carbs per meal, so I cannot rely on heavy carb sources of protein like beans & rice. When I am strict vegan, most protein comes from seeds and nuts, not carb combos. That means that I struggle to get 20+ grams of protein per day (I like to shoot for 30g). Adding my chickens' eggs and opening two days to vegetarianism, ensures the weekly protein needs are met.

*** "Viva la VegDen!" ***

No comments: