Monday, January 30, 2012

How long is a fitness journey?? (Den)


Have you ever heard of a “vegangelical?” What a funny little term. It’s applied to vegans who have placed themselves on a high horse and snub their noses at all the “poor, confused, and ignorant” carnivores and ovo-lacto (egg & milk) vegetarians. I don’t want to be veganelical. In fact, I’ll be the first one to tell you that I fall off the vegan-wagon and eat dairy (generally less than once a week), and I eat my own hen’s eggs whenever I feel like it…and, guess what? – Insert Gasp Here – sometimes (albeit rarely), I eat meat.

The fact is, though, as a society, we eat too much darn meat. A good dietician will tell you that a serving is 3-4 oz of lean meat…you know, the ol’ size of a deck of cards thing. Boy, that looks small sometimes, right? Being consciously aware of the small portion allocated to us by these dieticians, who can justify eating that huge cheeseburger? The same goes for all that dairy. It was easy to be an ovo-lacto vegetarian. More CHEESE if you please…and here I am, a fat vegetarian! But, speaking from the position of someone who has virtually eliminated dairy, I’ve found that the change has pushed me towards eating more produce. Frankly, I never had room for those veggies before!

I’m making an effort to change the way I approach life. I’m making small steps towards improving my body. Taking two steps forward, then one step back, still results in forward progress. I’ll get there sooner or later. I want to keep refining my program, tweaking it just here and there until I feel comfortable and happy with it. I want to limit my soy intake, eliminate GMO foods, drink more fresh juices, move towards buying more organic produce, etc. They are just little steps, but like my weight-loss, little changes can result in big improvements as time passes. If you are reading this, then you probably want to make little changes, too – your own list of little changes. This is a fitness journey where the map unfolds as we travel down the path. There are struggles, and pitfalls, and mountains to climb. If you take one step back, you have not landed back where you started; you are just one step away from moving forward again.

4 comments:

aleut5 said...

Good post. I actually had a conversation with someone who argued with me because I buy cage vegetarian fed chicken eggs. I was shocked at her need to grill me about what I choose to eat. Oh, well to each his own.

aleut5 said...

cage free is what I meant to say....

Den said...

I was reading a book by a woman who went from raw vegan to raw minimalist omnivore. She was shocked ... as a writer ... to get death threats and insults when she switched. She attributes this to lack of essential fatty acids, which makes some extreme vegans fuzzy minded. It sounded funny at first, but she supported her argument and it made sense.

We are each trying to improve, and ultimately, that is the most important thing. There is no one-size-fits-all nutritional program because she each have unique physical, mental, and spiritual needs that are met by how we nourish ourselves. I will always strive to maintain that statement as I continue to blog in the future!

Den said...

...and I meant "we," not "she"....silly auto correct.